Sunday 16 August 2009

Arsenal Roundup - What a start

The season kicked off yesterday and what a magnificent start by the Gunners.

We started with the team I picked yesterday lining up as follows

Almunia
Sagna
Clichy
Vermaelen
Gallas
Song
Denilson
Fabregas
Arshavin
Bendtner
Van Persie

Highlights are available http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3207267/

I won’t talk you through the game or the goals, but i was particularly encouraged by the performances of Vermaelen, Song and Bendtner.

Bendtner created the first when he turned Baines inside out before laying the ball to Fabregas who teed up Denilson. He worked hard all day and looked a genuine threat. More of the same please Nicky.
Vermaelen had a simply outstanding debut. He dominated Jo in the air, looked composed on the ground and took his goal with real aplomb. I don't want to get carried away but he looks a real player and just the type of defender we need.
Song carried on in the same vein as last year. He covered ever blade of grass, he kept his passing simple and efficient and offered real protection for our back four. At the beginning of last season I thought Song would never develop into an Arsenal player, but I'm now eating a warm serving of humble pie. Well played Songy.

I was hoping to catch Everton cold but and actually backed us to win 2-1 but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought we would smash 6 up at Goodison against a talented, hard working and motivated Everton team. Well done boys keep it up.

The press have now jumped on the Arsenal bandwagon after writing us off all summer, they really are pathetic. I honestly believe with an addition or two in defence and midfield we could really have a go at the league this year.

I've got one eye on the Utd game as I write this and I have to say their squad looks weak I don't think they're the team they were last season. Chelsea looked an old tired team yesterday in a laboured victory over Hull. Liverpool are not the team the press are building them up to be. They rely far too heavily on the Torres and Gerrard and I think they will miss Xabi Alonso a hell of a lot.

There's a long season ahead and I hope we have a lot more days like yesterday, when I remember just how exciting it is to be an Arsenal fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment